Monday 13 July 2009

First Faceup

So today I decided to embark upon the adventure of painting my floating head's face up. For those of you that know nothing about Ball jointed dolls, let me explain. The whole hobby is about customisation, amongst other things, and a lot of people paint the heads of their dolls to change its look whilst others get the manufacturers default faces. (The paint on a doll's head is called the 'faceup')

Here is the head before I'd even touched it.



Pretty unexciting.
Firstly I applied a few coats of MSC
I then applied eyebrows using a stencil I made from masking tape. It looked alright.
More MSC
Then I blushed in all the places you'd expect there to be pinkiness.
More MSC
Then the lips. Smudged them right at the end.
Washed the whole thing off. (Not very well, you'll see what I mean later)

Second attempt
MSC base coats
Drew eyebrows on holding the head upside down, no stencil. Drew on with pencil, think that's naughty. Then used a q-tip to brush black pastel over when I'd drawn the lines.
Then drew on somefiner lines within this pastel using pencil. (o.0)
MSC
Then for the lips, put red acrylic all over the lips, struggled to get it even. Still isn't quite.
More MSC
Then used pastel on the inside of the eye sockets and un the crease above the eye. This looked okay, made it into a sort of 20's style cat eye flick. Even better.
Then added flicky eye lashes. Got over excited here, they looked better before I added more liner on the lower lid.
More MSC
Blushed all the bits that needed to be blushed and added lip lines. (Need to do this with a water colour pencil, did not get the intended effect just some sort of mess.)
Cleaned up lip lines. Less mess.
Final coat of MSC



You can see on the right hand side of the picture near the nose the slightly darker patch, this is the blushing I didn't wipe off properly. It was also before the blushing and lip lines.


In natural light. Before blushing and lip lines. There are a few smudges in between the eyebrows. I noticed this too late so couldn't get rid of it.


Finished! Here you can see on the right hand side where I didn't remove the old faceup properly.
Lip lines also not great.


In a wig more suited to the face up colour and normal skintone (NS).
Lips need gloss, not quite even.
She also needs something to give her upper lids more definition. Not sure what though.
Eyelash detail is quite good I think.

Comments appreciated!

<3

No comments: